WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Design, develop, deploy, and operate technical architecture and systems. Identify opportunities to improve existing systems/workflows for performance, speed, and accuracy. Ruthlessly optimize for productivity – your own and that of the entire engineering team.
- Coach and mentor talented engineers by giving them actionable feedback and setting clear goals. Assist in calibrating and developing the engineering team as a whole.
- Ensure the team’s ability to understand project requirements, build effective technical project roadmaps and plans, and ship high-quality products.
- Review all feature designs within your product area and across the company for cross-cutting projects. Be an owner of the security, safety, scale, operational integrity, and architectural clarity of these designs.
- Champion engineering and operational excellence, establishing metrics and process for regular assessment and improvement. Participate and drive operational reviews and hold both ICs and managers accountable for improvements. Be a relentless advocate for improving the customer experience created by our architecture and code outcomes.
- Help with leadership recruiting efforts for hiring senior engineers and managers. Recruit others like yourself and serve as a beacon to the best engineers on the planet through blogs, conference presentations, and other external engagements and/or social media.
- Drive the team’s goals and help drive the technical direction of the company. Be a willing partner with the executive team in analyzing and making decisions involving complex technical topics.
- Understand the trends within the company and in the industry at large. Call out problematic ideas and provide appropriate push-back to engineers, managers, and executives.
- Debugging extremely difficult technical problems, and make systems and products both work better and are easier to deploy, own, operate and diagnose.
- 10+ years of experience in roles providing technical leadership and direction for software engineering and development
- Strong technical skills for design and coding
- Experience with distributed systems and large scale engineering challenges
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and a bias toward open, transparent cultural practices.
- Excellent skills of mentoring, maturity, dealing with conflict and communication – not just within the team but also across the product group and/or all of engineering.
- Comfortable with leading large cross-functional initiatives, and collaborating with product managers, UX designers, and engineering teams.
- Embodies our values: Positive energy, continuous learning, clear communication, efficient execution, and commitment to building an inclusive environment
- Bonus Points: Have previous experience at a fast paced, high growth stage internet/software company